Sunday, August 01, 2010
"Get Carter" gets demolished
WORK has restarted on pulling down an eyesore landmark building in Gateshead. Demolition teams moved back on to the site of the “Get Carter” car park in the town centre following the suspension of work last year.
Liberal Democrat Councillor Frank Hindle has welcomed the news that the building should be gone by the end of September. It was made famous by the 1970s classic film “Get Carter” starring Michael Caine.
Frank, who is Deputy Leader of the Opposition on Gateshead Council, also welcomed the news that Tesco have submitted a planning application for Trinity Square in Gateshead.
Frank said “People in Gateshead have waited a long time for the moment when the car park disappears from the skyline.
“I am glad that Tesco and the Council are making good progress towards developing a modern town centre that local people can enjoy, and that will draw in new business.”
Local resident and Lib Dem campaigner Dave Fawcett said, “Getting rid of the current part demolished centre and the eyesore of the old car park will be a vital and very welcome step.
“The decision by Tesco to go ahead with a major redevelopment and to invest a huge amount in our town centre is a vote of confidence in the economy that should boost jobs and incomes.”
Earlier this year Frank led an on-line campaign and petition at www.ourtrinitysquare.org.uk and calling on Tesco to get a move on with its plans for Trinity Square.
(Photo: Dave Fawcett and Frank Hindle outside the "Get Carter" car park on the day work began again to demolish it.)